Where to go...

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

(Girl) Friends

I get a little soapbox-y about certain things. Sometimes it's warranted, and sometimes it's frivolous. Sometimes, I get riled up at a news story, or see something dancing around pop culture that just burns me up. I know my opinions aren't facts, and I don't try and convince people I'm right...at least on most things.

I know I can be a bit ridiculous. And a touch dramatic.

...sometimes.

I think there's enough in the news as of late regarding a general lack of respect for women permeating our culture. And while I'm overjoyed that these conversations are being brought to the table, I think there's one that deserves a little nod of recognition:

Women respecting and uplifting other women.

More pointedly, and perhaps to speak in clear and concise terms:

Stop calling your female friends derogatory names.

You know the ones I'm referring to. I don't even want to type them out. Not because I don't say them (*ahem* probably far too frequently)...but because in this context, at least this time, I don't think it's necessary.

I think the spirit these terms are meant in is one of camaraderie, to show familiarity, to show that we (we, as in women) have the power and wherewithal to use those words in a joking manner that are typically meant to demean us... I get it. I get it all.

But still.

It's tacky. And unnecessary. And rude. And, honestly, still demeaning. The gender of the person speaking doesn't dictate how the word is going to sound spilling out of their mouth. A mean word is a mean word.

And really, don't we hear those things enough?


No comments:

Post a Comment