Where to go...

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

30

I feel like I spent the majority of my 20s apologizing for who I was. In hindsight, I can see that was just a lack of confidence that only maturity can bring. Because who I was is who I am. Plus some years of straightening up, straightening out, learning what works and who works and what I shouldn't even TRY to make work.

There's something about turning 30 that just solidifies your being. At least that's how I felt when I turned 30 a few years back.

But then there's this guy.


My husband turned 30 yesterday. (That's right kids...do the math. I'm older). And the cool thing about this man is that he just is who he is. I've never met anyone who I can accurately describe by saying, 'What you see is what you get.' Except him. He just...IS.

He's the kind of guy that will willfully and purposely drive out into snowy weather just to see if he can help anyone out of a ditch. He'll strike up a conversation with a complete stranger at the grocery store or in a restaurant, where I usually shy away from making small talk. And as great as he is at getting people to talk, he's equally as great (if not more so) at cutting off an interaction before it gets painfully awkward... (You know the random strangers that just won't. stop. talking. just because you said hi?? Those ones).

He loves creating things with his hands - building, yard work, working on his car or bike - and will teach himself something if he doesn't understand it. Which serves to say that he has a great deal of patience for himself. More than I have for myself, or anyone else for that matter. He has a great respect and profound inner obligation to serve his family. He brings his grandmother flowers. He'll listen to me talk incessantly about my love for cheeseburgers, or my deep disappointment with the state of the Rap genre (...seriously, you can't even compare Tupac or Biggie to anyone in the game right now. You just can't).

He's a pretty decent singer. Although, he'd completely deny that. He's hilariously horrible at accents. He'd also probably deny that too. He loves animals, being outside, playing Nintendo 64 and hanging out with his best friend.

I don't think I was as cool at 30 as he is. Someday I'll catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment